When The Christian and Missionary Alliance of Australia came to us with a dilapidated chapel on Windsor Road in need of urgent repair we knew exactly what to do. The Church was not familiar with the history of the chapel so we researched the site in depth. Before long, we learned that the former Methodist chapel was constructed in 1879 on land dedicated by the McDougall family. The McDougall’s were a well-respected pioneering family who helped to establish the Baulkham Hills area and remained prominent in the area for five generations.
On site, we researched the fabric of the chapel. We determined the scope of repairs, the original paint colours and the history of changes to the fabric. We then determined what should be retained, repaired, or demolished. We prepared a Statement of Heritage Significance, Statement of Heritage Impact, and a Conservation Management Plan before the builders set to work.
Now fully restored, the chapel serves as an ancillary space used for weddings, funerals, and community events. The chapel has not only been saved and fully restored, but it now generates a healthy income for the Church.